My home or property was affected by a recent windstorm. How do you I proceed with the claims process, and what should I expect?
Safely Assessing the Damage
- Make sure that all individuals are safe and contact any emergency personnel if needed.
- Take a brief inspection of your property to assess the damage to your roof, windows, doors, siding etc.
- If an assessment is done and you would like to begin the claims process, then contact your agent so that you can discuss the damages. Your agent will be more than willing to make recommendations of local roofing companies and restoration services.
- If you are unable to reach your agent and need immediate claims assistance, then please feel free to contact your carrier directly. It is however recommended that you discuss your situation with your agent first, so that the best recommendations can be provided prior to filing a claim.
- Phone numbers to your carrier are in your policy and also on our website.
Deciding to File a Claim
- If you decide to proceed with filing a claim ,your agent and assigned claims representative will review your policy and coverages and discuss your deductible which is the amount that will need to be paid out of pocket prior to the insurance company paying for replacement, repair or restoration of your damaged property.
- Typically this amount can range from $1,000 to $2,500 or a certain percentage of your replacement cost coverage, which we will discuss in a future post.
- An adjuster will be assigned to come out and take a thorough inventory of the damage and decide the amount that it will costs to repair.
- Make sure to take pictures and determine if any temporary repairs can be made.
- Keep receipts and documentation of all correspondence between adjusters, contractors and your agent.
- We will always recommend that you work with a local contractor as communication and accessibility during and after the claims process is very much important.
- If for any reason you are having difficulty with the claims process and are not getting the answers that you deserve that is where we come in to act as middle point of contact between the carrier, adjuster, and you, our valued insured, to assist with any of your unanswered inquiries.
We will discuss more specific claims situations in future posts but I hope that this helps give a general overview of how the claims process would work on a situation such as a severe wind storm.
In the event this is an emergency you may contact Miles Merwin cell phone 864-630-9905. Send a text message stating emergency and/or leave a message and I will contact you back ASAP.
– Miles Merwin